[j-nsp] Conditional advertisting to an upstream

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Apr 16 08:22:03 EDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Phil Mayers wrote:
> """A generated route becomes active when it has one or more contributing
> routes. A contributing route is an active route that is a more specific
> match for the generated destination.... A route can contribute only to a
>  single generated route."""
>
> Which implies to me that the policy is only applied to potentially
> contributing routes i.e. in your example below the policy would never
> "see" the 0.0.0.0/0 since it's not a contributer. The wording in the
> later docs support this.
>
> Is this not in fact the case?

You're probably right and I was confused.

There has been some discussion on this on the list before.

Yep, it isn't intended to work this way:
http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2006-October/007038.html

Some route next-hop tricks that may get around this:
http://atm.tut.fi/list-archive/juniper-nsp/msg00213.html
http://atm.tut.fi/list-archive/juniper-nsp/msg00214.html
(and other messages in the thread)