[j-nsp] Class of Service implementation over MLPPP link

Josef Buchsteiner josefb at juniper.net
Tue Apr 17 17:59:08 EDT 2007

Fahad,

        the behavior you see is normal and expected.

        First  to  see  the  queue statistic on LSQ interface you most
        likely forgot to add the subunit number as the interface
        queue number will be zero all the time since this is the
        entire LSQ interfaces. That's the reason why you configure
        per-unit-scheduler on the LSQ interface.

        On  the  egress interface we have to put all into Q0 since you
        are  not  using multiclass mlppp and we have only one SEQ pool
        so  we  will  end up all in one queue to prevent re-order. The
        queuing is done in LSQ prior to putting on the seq stamps.

        We  do  recommend  once  there  is  LFI  traffic  to configure
        scheduler  on  the  egress  PIC to make sure it gets the right
        priority   and  served  prior  to  the  ML  packets  and  the
        interleaving  is  done  there.  So  with  LFI  traffic and the
        fragmentation-map it would then go into a different egress PIC
        queue.  If  you  use  ML-MLPPP  you will then see all going in
        different egress queues.

        However  the  point  is  that  queuing is done on LSQ. So your
        configuration  is ok and most likely all is working correctly.
        Just check if you get the LSQ queue number

<-- example like this, please check on your side

josefb at minsk# run show interfaces queue lsq-1/2/0.0
  Logical interface lsq-1/2/0.0 (Index 76) (SNMP ifIndex 65)
Forwarding classes: 4 supported, 4 in use
Egress queues: 4 supported, 4 in use
Burst size: 0
Queue: 0, Forwarding classes: best-effort
  Queued:
    Packets              :                113479                   166 pps
    Bytes                :             170143632               1992000 bps
  Transmitted:
    Packets              :                107498                   166 pps
    Bytes                :             161185344               1992000 bps
    Tail-dropped packets :                     0                     0 pps
    RED-dropped packets  :                  5981                     0 pps
     Low, non-TCP        :                  5981                     0 pps
     Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 pps
     High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 pps
     High, TCP           :                     0                     0 pps
    RED-dropped bytes    :               8958288                     0 bps
     Low, non-TCP        :               8958288                     0 bps
     Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 bps
     High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 bps
     High, TCP           :                     0                     0 bps
Queue: 1, Forwarding classes: expedited-forwarding
  Queued:
    Packets              :                 84666                   170 pps
    Bytes                :             126999000               2040000 bps
  Transmitted:
    Packets              :                 79675                   170 pps
    Bytes                :             119512500               2040000 bps
    Tail-dropped packets :                     0                     0 pps
    RED-dropped packets  :                  4991                     0 pps
     Low, non-TCP        :                  4991                     0 pps
     Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 pps
     High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 pps
     High, TCP           :                     0                     0 pps
    RED-dropped bytes    :               7486500                     0 bps
     Low, non-TCP        :               7486500                     0 bps
     Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 bps
     High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 bps
     High, TCP           :                     0                     0 bps
Queue: 2, Forwarding classes: assured-forwarding
  Queued:
    Packets              :                     0                     0 pps
    Bytes                :                     0                     0 bps
  Transmitted:
    Packets              :                     0                     0 pps
    Bytes                :                     0                     0 bps
    Tail-dropped packets :                     0                     0 pps
    RED-dropped packets  :                     0                     0 pps
     Low, non-TCP        :                     0                     0 pps
     Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 pps
     High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 pps
     High, TCP           :                     0                     0 pps
    RED-dropped bytes    :                     0                     0 bps
     Low, non-TCP        :                     0                     0 bps
     Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 bps
     High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 bps
     High, TCP           :                     0                     0 bps
Queue: 3, Forwarding classes: network-control
  Queued:
    Packets              :                 93967                   166 pps
    Bytes                :             140596946               1980544 bps
  Transmitted:
    Packets              :                 88376                   136 pps
    Bytes                :             132234860               1632000 bps
    Tail-dropped packets :                     0                     0 pps
    RED-dropped packets  :                  5581                    30 pps
     Low, non-TCP        :                  5581                    30 pps
     Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 pps
     High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 pps
     High, TCP           :                     0                     0 pps
    RED-dropped bytes    :               8347086                348544 bps
     Low, non-TCP        :               8347086                348544 bps
     Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 bps
     High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 bps
     High, TCP           :                     0                     0 bps