[j-nsp] ATM <-> Ethernet TCC or VPLS, converting from cisco

Will Orton will at loopfree.net
Wed Apr 25 14:20:05 EDT 2007

Hey all,

I have a working config running on a Cisco 7206 I've inherited.
It looks like a TCC between an ATM DS3 PVC and a fast-E VLAN:

----
interface ATM1/0
 no ip address
 atm scrambling cell-payload
 atm framing cbitplcp
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 no atm enable-ilmi-trap
 pvc 1/100 l2transport
  ubr 44209
  encapsulation aal5snap

interface FastEthernet2/0
 description Trunk to switch
 no ip address
 duplex full

interface FastEthernet2/0.101
 encapsulation dot1Q 101

connect foo ATM1/0 1/100 FastEthernet2/0.101 interworking ethernet
------

The ATM PVC is a feed into a VPLS cloud (all IP addressed in a /24).
The ethernet VLAN feeds to another router (also with an address in the
/24). So ARP and IPv4 packets are getting switched between this
ethernet and the VPLS cloud out on the ATM (out of my control).

Now, I want to replace this with an M20 with a 4FE PIC and a DS3 ATM
PIC. It really seems like I just want a ATM PVC - ethernet TCC:

unit 910 {
    encapsulation vlan-tcc;
    vlan-id 910;
    family tcc {
        proxy {
            inet-address 10.1.1.1;
        }
        remote {
            inet-address 10.1.1.2;
        }
[...]

but in my case, the proxy and remove inet-addresses don't make sense. I
need ARP to get passed through the TCC since there's 200 other IPs
(remote site routers) on the provider side of the ATM.

Do I need to do something like a 2-port VPLS setup locally on my M20
instead (so as to handle the ARP correctly, with multiple IPs out on the
ATM)?. That seems like it would work, but then I need a ATM2 DS3 card
instead of an ATM1 ($$), and suddenly it becomes cheaper to leave the
Cisco in place.

Any ideas?

--
-Will Orton :: http://www.loopfree.net/