[j-nsp] Multihoming with BGP VPLS

Monika M monika.vpls at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 07:05:36 EDT 2007

In a multihomed site with same site ID configuration on both the Provider
edge devices, Juniper recommends a configuration of preference (Primary |
secondary | <preference Value).

But how does this influence the BGP path selection algoirthm to ensure that
all the Edge devices participating in the VPLS is chosing the same PE for
establishing the Pseudo wire?

If the configured preference is carried as the Local preference,  I accept
that this configuration place a role in the BGP path selection.

In this case, if the service is a multi-AS scenario, we can not use Local
Pref in the path calculation. In this scenario, how do we handle the path
selection to choose the best NLRI out of multiple NLRI with the same VE ID?

TIA,
Monika