[j-nsp] icmpv4-rate-limit

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Aug 22 03:22:09 EDT 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, matthew johnson wrote:
> Does anyone know if the following ICMP rate limt feature is related to
> traffic from / to the RE or transit traffic?

RE only.  Transit ICMP error generation is rate-limited but that
rate-limiting is not configurable.

We investigated this with JTAC some time ago with the results as
follows:

The PFE limits are hard coded and cannot currently be changed. They
are 50pps per interface for all interfaces except interfaces on Type 3
FPCs, where this limit is 250pps [starting from 8.3R, earlier was
50pps].  As well as the per interface limits there is a further limit
of 500pps per PFE.

There is an ER open for raising the ICMP generation rate-limit as well
as making that configurable.