[j-nsp] VRRP issue in 8.2R4.5 upwards

Mark Johnson juniper-nsp at avensys.net
Thu Dec 20 08:24:13 EST 2007

Hi,

I came across this issue since upgrading from 8.2R2.4 to 8.2 R4.5.

Essentially routers won't always take over as VRRP master. They think they've taken over but log this error:

Dec 20 11:41:31  xxxxx-rtr dcd[3080]: DCD_CONFIG_WRITE_FAILED:   configuration write failed for an RT ADD: Can't assign requested
address

The server is pingable from the local routers but not externally so it looks as though the error message means "can't add the VRRP
address" and therefore the internal hosts lose connectivity.

Jtac had access to the routers and found that by adding "accept-data" to the VRRP group it started working. Removing "accept-data"
disabling the interfaces and changing priorities would *sometimes* enable the problem to surface again, but not always.

Two VLAN's won't swap over even with "accept-data" added.

So I want to ask if anyone else has seen this issue and/or what it might be while I wait for Imtech and Juniper to get back in
touch. (sigh).

Also, anyone that uses VRRP might want to force the mastership change on their VLAN's to make sure they aren't affected by this
problem as you may not have the router redundancy you think you have :(

Kind regards,

Mark