[j-nsp] 8.x Compatibility (was: Upgrade without PCMCIA card?)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Dec 20 10:29:51 EST 2007

> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:01:13 -0500
> From: "Eric Van Tol" <eric at atlantech.net>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> > Downgrading to 7.6 worked for me, which is probably your best
> > bet on the M5/10/20/40 unless you're willing to upgrade the
> > RE's flash and the FEB/SSB SDRAM in a warranty-voiding kinda way.
>
> Can someone post some more info regarding this, perhaps with memory
> requirements per platform?  Will 8.5 cause problems on an M20 with an
> RE-333-768 and SSB-E?  What about an RE-600-2048 w/ SSB-E-16?  This
> seems pretty scary to me and is getting into Cisco territory now with
> having to worry about what platform can run what JUNOS version.

As of today an M20 with the 64MB of DRAM can still handle full
routes. You can look at the utilization with 'show chassis [c]feb' or
'show chassis ssb', depending on the router model. Theat will tell you
how much DRAM the system has and the heap utilization will tell you how
close you are to falling off the end of the world.

On most FEB and CFEB systems the move to new code ate about 6-12% more
heap. If the system is sitting at 90% or higher, it is likely that you
will have problems after the upgrade. Wee found that 64MB M10 and M5
systems could not work and rolled them back to V7. Our remaining M20s
are still hanging in there, but we plan to replace it shortly. For
reasons I don't understand, SSB utilization increased only slightly, if
at all. Still, for a router carrying full routes, it will be getting
close to the edge.

> Also - what type of memory can you use on an old, outdated FEB?
> Hypothetically, of course, because who would want to invalidate their
> warranty?  ;-)

Huh? A 64MB FEB that is still in warranty?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)