[j-nsp] iBGP convergence time

Gniewko gniewko at man.szczecin.pl
Thu Feb 1 03:07:05 EST 2007

Hi All,

I've already posted on JuniperForum.com but there was no answer so
trying here (sorry for duplicate).

There are 2 m7i, m7i_1 has a couple of EBGP sessions used for receiving
full feed from the Internet. m7i_2 hovewer has only one IBGP session
with m7i_1. Configuration of IBGP looks like this (no special things):

m7i_1(7.4R1.7):

type internal;
local-address 10.0.0.1;
import REJECT_ALL;
authentication-key "xxx"; ## SECRET-DATA
peer-as 64512;
local-as 64512;
neighbor 10.0.0.2;

m7i_2 (8.1R2.4):

type internal;
local-address 10.0.0.2;
authentication-key "xxx"; ## SECRET-DATA
peer-as 64512;
local-as 64512;
neighbor 10.0.0.1;

It takes about 3 minutes for m7i_2 to receive 200k of prefixes. But, as
soon as I change AS to my public number (both sides of course) have to
wait almost 20 minutes. During this long period, CPU on m7i_2 is quite
busy.
Could You please give me a hint what could be the source of this
behaviour?

--
Thanks in advance,
G.