[j-nsp] GRE problems

laura.mcdonnell at canterbury.ac.uk laura.mcdonnell at canterbury.ac.uk
Thu Feb 1 04:14:45 EST 2007

I currently use a GRE tunnel to transit traffic from one site to
another.  However, this tunnel traverses another network which also uses
a GRE tunnel to transport their traffic over their resilient path.
I do know when using our GRE tunnel over the providers native primary
link, there are no problems.  When traffic traverses the resilient link
(GRE over GRE) large packets do not get through.
All routers are setup to use PMTUD and given that the routers are using
the built in tunnel interface I believe setting the TCP MSS value is not
achievable.

Does anyone know a work around to this problem?

Regards,

Laura McDonnell

Network Analyst

Canterbury Christ Church University