[j-nsp] Splitting E1 possibility in Juniper?

Tim Nagy tnagy76 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:45:20 EST 2007

Hi Fredrik,

You should be able to do it if you're running PPP, Frame Relay, or Cisco
HDLC on those timeslots. You'd need to configure the ds, ce1, or e1
interfaces as required, add the appropriate encapsulation with "ccc", and
then configure local interface switching.

Here's an example that was done using frame relay with a Channelized DS3
interface, but the principle is the same:

interfaces {
    ct3-1/0/0 {
        partition 1 interface-type ct1;
    }
    ct1-1/0/0:1 {
        partition 1 timeslots 1-10 interface-type ds;
        partition 2 timeslots 11-24 interface-type ds;
    }
    ds-1/0/0:1:1 {
        encapsulation frame-relay-ccc;
    }
    ds-1/0/0:1:2 {
        encapsulation frame-relay-ccc;
    }
    ct3-1/0/1 {
        partition 1 interface-type ct1;
    }
    ct1-1/0/1:1 {
        partition 1 timeslots 1-10 interface-type ds;
    }
    ds-1/0/1:1:1 {
        encapsulation frame-relay-ccc;
    }
    ct3-1/0/2 {
        partition 1 interface-type ct1;
    }
    ct1-1/0/2:1 {
        partition 1 timeslots 1-14 interface-type ds;
    }
    ds-1/0/2:1:1 {
        encapsulation frame-relay-ccc;
    }
}
protocols {
    mpls {
        interface lo0.0;
    }
    l2circuit {
        local-switching {
            interface ds-1/0/0:1:1.0 {
                end-interface {
                    interface ds-1/0/1:1:1.0;
                }
            }
            interface ds-1/0/0:1:2.0 {
                end-interface {
                    interface ds-1/0/2:1:1.0;
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

I included MPLS on lo0.0 because you'll get a commit error if you don't have
MPLS enabled on the router.

Let us know how that goes.

Regards,
Tim