[j-nsp] Hierarchical-VPLS (H-VPLS) on Juniper Boxes

Bourgeois, Jacob (Jake)** CTR ** bourgeois at alcatel-lucent.com
Mon Feb 19 11:50:51 EST 2007

Hi All,

I am having some trouble finding Juniper's official stance on H-VPLS, and
its implementation.  I would think since it uses MP-BGP it cannot use the
stokes-kompella draft as it appears to be based on ldp spoke hierarchy.

I see on a sales-oriented page
http://www.juniper.net/company/newsletter/jnews_article_061201a.html
that the implementation is BGP-RR based to achieve the goal.  But there are
no details.

My thought was that it would use q-in-q to tunnel customer vlans up to
nearest PE router which, if I am reading correctly, cisco appears to do. But
I cannot be sure without proper documentation.

Is anyone out there using h-vpls on M or T boxes that wouldn't mind sharing
how they are doing so?

Thanks and Regards,
Jake Bourgeois