[j-nsp] JunOS 8.0 upgrade for SSG520/550M

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Wed Feb 28 11:18:04 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com>
[...]
> You can put JunOS on them?
>
> Doesn't it become a router then?

  It becomes a J-Series.  I imagine the hardware's
identical, or nearly so.  I wouldn't be surprised if the
only difference between the SSG5x0M/Jx350 and SSG5x0 non-M
is the CF card: 128MB for the non-M.
  I haven't tried booting JunOS on my SSG 550.  Er,
successfully, at least.  Turns out my USB flash writer
wouldn't write the binary properly.
  I hear that JunOS will be getting a full set of ScreenOS
features, but that's been in the works for a while.  I
wonder how it'll be handled -- perhaps as a feature set
license?  I could certainly have a lot of fun designing a
JunOS-ScreenOS hybrid -- it should be nice.
  The (documented) one-way conversion may simply be because
ScreenOS doesn't have a flash recovery procedure and
associated images (that I've seen).

Peter E. Fry