[j-nsp] Vpls-ldp signaling

Muhammad Teguh Pribadi teguh_2k at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 21:17:14 EST 2007

Hi,

  You can read JNCIS book from Sybex on page 650 as below :
  " Within the JUNOS software, two main varieties of these VPNs exist. To help differentiate
  between the different Layer 2 VPNs, we’ll use the configuration syntax as our guide. The first type of VPN is based on a draft specification by Kireeti Kompella. It uses the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) as the mechanism for PE routers to communicate with each other about their customer connections. We’ll refer to a Kompella-based configuration as a Layer 2 VPN. The second main form of a VPN is based on a draft specification by Luca Martini and uses the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) between PE routers. Every router establishes a unique connection for each customer using the VPN. The Martini-based VPN is known as a Layer 2 Circuit within the configuration. "

  And also from page 672 as below :
  " The main difference between a Layer 2 VPN and a Layer 2 Circuit lies in the control plane and the methods used to set up the virtual connection across the provider network. The configuration of the physical interfaces as well as the actual forwarding of traffic doesn’t change. ..........
  Customer circuit information is advertised in a Layer 2 Circuit environment using the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP). The two PE routers use targeted LDP Hello messages to form a session with each other. Once the session is established, the peers exchange Forwarding Equivalence Class (FEC) information, which advertises available prefixes with an MPLS label mapping. The PE routers use this FEC advertisement to establish the virtual connection by including a new TLV that contains circuit specific information. "

  Hope it would explain.

  Regards,
  - Teguh -

Peder Christian Bach <peder at ipnett.no> wrote:
  Hi.

This is ordinary martini vpn. P2P.

Marini use LDP ( target LDP)

So this is not VPLS..

For example VPLS - BGP is configured like this:

routing-instances {
Cust {
description "VPLS";
instance-type vpls;