[j-nsp] BGP session going down on 'invalid attribute list'

Paul Goyette pgoyette at juniper.net
Thu Jan 4 10:27:20 EST 2007

> >> Maybe someone sent you a 32bit ASN?
> >
> > Isn't that capability negotiated during the OPEN
> > messages?
>
> And should that cause a BGP session to drop? Why did 4 AS'es propagate
> this info, yet our Juniper choke on it?

IF 4-byte ASNs is a negotiated capability,
AND IF we negotiated to NOT PERMIT 4-byte ASNs
AND  the peer sent us a 4-byte ASN anyway,

THEN YES, this is sufficient reason to drop the session
since the peer has violated the negotiated agreement.

That's sort of the whole point of BGP's capability
negotiation.