[j-nsp] IPv6 6to4 tunneling support

FAHAD ALI KHAN fahad.alikhan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 03:17:50 EST 2007

As far as 6to4 tunneling is concern it uses the same protocol as 6over4 i.e.
protocol 41, so in ip-ip tunnel configurtion there should be some option to
enable this feature. The only difference is the way it is implemented.

While you are working on new technologies which is very important in near
future....you better look all possible aspects of it....whether it is of
little importance or more.....!

Regarding RFC-3056 it is written that it is "optional interim mechanism" but
it will be better to read the complete paragraph....!

"This memo specifies an *optional interim mechanism for IPv6 sites
to communicate with each other over the IPv4 network without explicit tunnel
setup, and for them to communicate with native IPv6 domains via relay
routers.*  Effectively it treats the wide area IPv4 network as a unicast
point-to-point link layer.  *The mechanism is intended as a start-up
transition tool used during the period of co-existence of IPv4 and IPv6.  It
is not intended as a permanent solution.*"

It is optional b/c there are other tunneling techniques are avaiable but
most of them are staic in nature. Also last line clearifies that...tunneling
is the startup transition tools....that will be ultimately shifted to native
connection in future.

My point is that Juniper is always wins when i compare it with other
vendors. So it should never let itself lack behind while working on
technologies like IPv6.