[j-nsp] atm cell relay - port versus vp promiscuous mode

Rafał Szarecki rszarecki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 14:52:04 EST 2007

2007/1/17, Bourgeois, Jacob (Jake)** CTR ** <bourgeois at alcatel-lucent.com>:

> Hi all,
>

> I have a customer that is looking to move from cell relay port promiscuous
> mode to vp mode.
>

> I can se the differences in configuration here
>

> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos76/swconfig76-network-in
> terfaces/html/interfaces-atm-config11.html#1166992
> <
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos76/swconfig76-network-i
> nterfaces/html/interfaces-atm-config11.html#1166992>
>
> and the obvious difference that in port mode all vpi/vci pairs are chucked
> into the lsp, and in vp mode will allow all vci's for a configured vp.
>

> I may be over thinking this but was wondering if anyone knew if:
>
> one was better than an another in the sense of delay?

Not in technology, but if cell rate of VP is lowes then cell rate of port (I
mean real traffic), and you use cell-boundling/cell-aggregation, It can
happen that you will have to wait longet to collect number of cells which
will be send in singlr MPLS frame. But anyway there is hard time limit
boudary.

or if the juniper SAR chip is used in one but not the other? Or any other
> architectural difference?

For both port-promisc. and vp-promisc. modes cells are not reassembled to
AAL frames, so SAR is not used.

is cell bundling capability in both?

I thing so.

are there any caveats that may be involved with moving from port to vp other
> than configuration?

I do not know any current SW issue, but I not trace this.

This particular implementation is using kompella for tunneling.

This is just signalling, so no  for signalling logical interface is logical
interface. No difference, except in vp-promisc. mode you can have multiple
logical if on one phy.

If anyone can point in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks and regards,
>
> Jake Bourgeois JNCIP 318

Rafał Szarecki JNCIE
+48602418971