[j-nsp] multiprotocol bgp and bgp reflection

Rafał Szarecki rszarecki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 08:59:30 EST 2007

Well, If P router is also RR for L3VPN, then they have just RR role. No
spetial configuration neede.

Please note that VPNv4 route table (bgp.l3vpn.0) is NOT used to create
forwarding state. So you can imaginne l3vpn RR abd orthogonal funcionality
to P-router label-switching. Just residing on same hardware.

This is not true that usuay MP-BGP session is activated between all PE in
ful mesh way.  Inmost known for me implementations some RR are used. Of
course if you have small amount of PE (tens). PE-PE full mesh is IMHO
optimal. But if you have 200 PEs? You need to use some of BGP scaling RR or
confederations. RR are simpler.

BTW. this same is applicable to LDP base l2vpn/vpls (martini/lassere). LDP
requires PE to be fully meshed and there is no scaling solution like BGP
RR/Confederations.

2007/1/23, snort bsd <snortbsd at yahoo.com.au>:

> Hi all:
>
> Just read through the white paper "BGP Route
> Reflection in Layer 3 VPN Networks". Usually MBGP is
> activated on PE routers; ie. PE-to-PE and P routers
> need no configuration of MBGP. But with the Router
> Reflectors in the middle of PATHs of PE-to-PE, how
> could this be implemented? Does anyone here ever
> configured this?
>
> Thanks in Advance

Rafał Szarecki JNCIE
+48602418971