[j-nsp] Class of Service for IQ PIC

Edwin Lok edwin.lok at pacific.net.sg
Wed Jan 24 07:16:47 EST 2007

Hi All

for an IQ PIC, when I configure a bandwidth command as follows (from JUNOS
docs), is the traffic shaped first or the traffic put into the scheduler first?

[edit interfaces]
t3-1/0/0:1 {
     encapsulation frame-relay;
     per-unit-scheduler;
}

[edit class-of-service]
interfaces {
     t3-1/0/0:1 {
         unit 0 {
             dlci 1022;
             scheduler-map sched-map-logical-0;
             bandwidth 10m;
         }
         unit 1 {
             dlci 1021;
             scheduler-map sched-map-logical-1;
             bandwidth 20m;
         }
     }
}

If I have ingress traffic via an interface, say ge-0/0/0 of 30Mbps all going out
via t3-1/0/0:1.  Will the 30Mbps be first shaped to 10Mbps without regarding the
scheduler-map?  Or will the 30Mbps be put into the queues defined in the
scheduler-map first?

More specifically if the scheduler-map has strictly high priority meant for
voice, will it be shaped first and result in buffered packets (adding jitter),
or it will be put into the strictly high queue first and gets prioritized over
other packets going into the 10Mbps subinterface?

Thanks

Rgds
Edwin