[j-nsp] NS-50

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Thu Jul 19 14:35:28 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gabriel" <gabriel at teksavvy.com>
To: <juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Subject: [j-nsp] NS-50
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:38:14 -0400

> We are just starting to configure VLANs on one of the
> interfaces of our Netscreen and realised that it's limited
> to only 16 Sub-IF per physical interface. Is there anyway
> arround this? Why would this be limited to only 16? It
> seems to be more like a software limitation than anything
> else.

  Most likely.  Some Ethernet devices may have their own
limitations, but as I recall from my Linux days, no
commodity Ethernet MAC does any VLAN processing in hardware.
  The SSG 550 has subinterface limitations as well, but it's
more in the range of a hundred or two (looking... 150).
What irks me is that you can't use an arbitrary subinterface
number, so you can only match VLANs below 151.  How crude.
  As far as the limitation itself -- an arbitrary limitation
is more likely to drive a customer to another vendor or
solution, rather than to an upgrade.  I'll bet you have a
problem that fits the NS50 bandwidth, policy, and session
limitations, but requires more VLANs, eh?

Peter E. Fry