[j-nsp] Upgrade M10i from 7.3R3.6

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Jul 24 19:20:57 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 10:57:04PM +0100, Leigh Porter wrote:
> 8.3 was withdrawn last time I looked due to 32bit ASN bugs..

8.3R2 with the fix is finally out. But given the length of time it took to
get 8.3R2 out after all 8.3 images were recalled (several weeks), not to
mention the experiences I had with 8.3R1 in testing even before the 32 bit
ASN bug... Let's just say this should be setting off red flags regarding
bleeding edge stability. "This is not the code you're looking for". :)

The problem with just downloading random code off the website is you have
no understanding of what changes are being made to the software behind the
scenes (including infrastructure changes for upcoming features which may
introduce new bugs but which aren't described in the public release
notes). Anyone interested in running stable code should be in a constant
dialog with people who know these things, otherwise you're asking for
trouble.

FWIW, I've found 8.2R2 to be pretty generically stable across a wide
variety of platforms, and the only real platform specific issues have
workarounds and/or are solved in the upcoming 8.2R3. This image also meets
a lot of my minimum feature requirements in several key areas, whereas 8.3
doesn't introduce many new features, and certainly not many that are vital
(netflow v9 is the closest thing IMHO). If you don't need to run new code,
many people still find 7.3 and 6.4 to still be perfectly stable
(particularly on older platforms with slower REs), but if you must go new
I'd personally recommend 8.2R2 and the upcoming 8.2R3 over 8.0 8.1 or 8.3
right now.