[j-nsp] GRE Keepalive problem

Erdem Sener erdems at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 19:25:59 EDT 2007

Youssef,

 As long as you have a route information towards your tunnel
destination (including the default 0/0), your interface will stay up
since there are no GRE keepalive mechanisms.

 As a workaround against link failures, I would suggest configuring a
dynamic routing protocol using tunnel interfaces on both ends and rely
on that protocol's keepalives to detect link failures.

 Of course, you'll need to be careful and avoid possible loops while doing that.

 Hope this helps,
 Erdem