[j-nsp] Juniper SSG 140/520

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Tue Jun 5 11:23:08 EDT 2007

> Looking for comments from anyone using the Juniper SSG
> line of security  appliances, specifically model 140 or
> 520.  We are considering trying one out as  a replacement
> for an aging Cisco PIX 520.  Most interested in the
> robustness,  IPS functionality, etc.  Also note that the
> new 520M can run JUNOS, any  advantages there?

  When I was working with the Netscreen 5200 at work (back
in 2003-2004), I picked up a 5XT for a bit of
extracurricular work.  If you're serious about trying before
you buy (and are dying to spend some cash), consider picking
up an SSG 5 for home use.
  The SSG 520 would probably be closer to the PIX in form
(similar width; lower, longer, and probably louder), but
with a... tad more performance headroom.  The old PIX specs
tended to be a bit... optimistic; I don't know about the new
ASA.  In my experience you can take the Juniper performance
specs at face value.
  The JUNOS angle is interesting -- the long-rumored union
of JUNOS and ScreenOS would yield a router with superior
security features and a firewall with superior routing
features.

Peter E. Fry