[j-nsp] Juniper M20 memory problem

Nicolaj Kamensek nk at accelerated.de
Sun Jun 10 20:38:07 EDT 2007

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

Hi Richard,

> Apparently the way some people have solved this is to upgrade the DRAM on
> the SSB (unsupported). The offical way to do it is to get an SSB-E-16 with
> larger SRAM and DRAM. But yeah an M20 just isn't a good platform for an
> edge box like this.

isn't the available memory on all the routers of those generation the
same? I'm talking about M5, M10, M40 and M160.
We already ordered the SSB-E16 a few weeks ago but we're still waiting
for it by now. What would be a better platform for an edge router? I
guess the E16 comes with the same amount of memory as the newer models
like M7i, M10i, M40e and so on..
Is it really that easy to upgrade the DRAM on the SSB-E? What aboult the
SRAM, doesn't it need an upgrade too? I did not find those special
modules anywhere yet but the DRAM looks like pretty normal SDRAM,
probably with ECC.

Regards,
Nicolaj Kamensek

--
Accelerated IT Services GmbH
Schubertstrasse 10                        D-67251 Freinsheim