[j-nsp] Juniper firewall filters/stateful firewalls best practice

Daniel Lete daniel.lete at heanet.ie
Mon Jun 25 06:16:57 EDT 2007

Hello Shawn,
You may have seen
Securing Provider Backbone Networks: Packet Filters, Traffic Shaping and
Related Best Practices
(http://www.juniper.net/solutions/literature/white_papers/200180.pdf)

in http://www.juniper.net/solutions/literature/white_papers/

there is also a section on Security that may be of use to you.

Daniel

Shawn Hargan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a security audit with a Juniper M7i with built in ASP and
> an M10i with a discrete AS2PIC. Is there any documentation on typical
> best practices for Juniper firewall filters and stateful firewalls? I'm
> curious whether it's worth it to define firewall filters to block out
> easy traffic before the packets are passed to the stateful firewall, or
> if that AS2PIC has enough horsepower to make the basic filters moot.
>
> Thanks for any insight.
> -SH

Daniel Lete Murugarren
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1
Registered in Ireland, no 275301  tel: +353-1-660 9040  fax: +353-1-660 3666
web: http://www.heanet.ie/