[j-nsp] What do for a terminal server?

Joe Freeman joe at netbyjoe.com
Mon Jun 25 11:33:28 EDT 2007

Actually, Cyclades (now Avocent) makes a dedicated console server as well...
Check out the ACS series...
http://www.avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/CycladesACS_Landing

They come in variants from 1 to 48 ports, offer out-of-band management via
on board ethernet, or pcmcia slot (think modem, gsm/edge card, et al). They
run a Linux distro and are extremely versatile.

One thing I like about them, especially in the use being discussed here, is
that they can log anything seen on a console port to a syslog file stored
locally ( or remotely) in onboard disk, or to a flash disk in one of the
PCMCIA slots. Helps a lot when you have a router misbehaving and errors
scroll by so fast you miss them.

Joe