[j-nsp] Usage of Route distinguisher in VPLS

xinyu zeng xinyu.zeng at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 09:35:15 EDT 2007

Hi Monika,

You can check with RFC 4761. Generally, NLRI for VPLS format is as
following:

      +------------------------------------+
      |  Length (2 octets)            |
      +------------------------------------+
      |  Route Distinguisher  (8 octets)|
      +------------------------------------+
      |  VE ID (2 octets)             |
      +------------------------------------+
      |  VE Block Offset (2 octets)|
      +------------------------------------+
      |  VE Block Size (2 octets)|
      +------------------------------------+
      |  Label Base (3 octets)     |
      +------------------------------------+

MAC address is not in the NLRI as L3VPN. So your can't expect to carry mac
tables in NLRI. MAC learning is by flooding in L2VPN, not by carried in
MPBGP as L3VPN.

On 6/26/07, Monika M <monika.vpls at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>           In L3VPN, The purpose of the Route Distinguisher is solely to
> allow one to create distinct routes to a common IPv4  address prefix.
>
> But why do we need Route distinguisher for VPLS?
>
> Was this added to VPLS to be consistent with L3VPN?
>

> -Monika

Best Regards,
Yours Xinyu.Zeng