[j-nsp] juniper-nsp Digest, Vol 55, Issue 33

Metz, E.T. (Eduard) Eduard.Metz at tno.nl
Thu Jun 28 09:31:13 EDT 2007

Your filter allows tcp traffic with either source or destination port
telnet (23). If you telnet to a webserver the source port (router point
of view) will be chosen dynamically (it is not 23!) and the destination
port is 80. Since neither source or destination port of the tcp
connection is equal to 23, the (return) traffic is dropped.

Expand your filter (suggestions in earlier mails) to allow return
traffic from tcp connections that originated from the router. See also
this http://www.cymru.com/gillsr/documents/junos-template.htm and this
http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Secure_access for some directions
on hardening.

/Eduard