[j-nsp] MLPPP Overhead Question

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Jun 29 13:19:42 EDT 2007

Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
--- bbird at dream2cook.com wrote:----------------
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:54:44 -0700, "Scott Weeks"  wrote:

>I'm searching the web for data on the overhead of using MLPPP and
> not having too much success.  If I'm gluing two T1s together do I
> still get 1.536 times two or is there impact on this from the MLPPP?

Enabling MLPPP will not change the clock-rate of the constituent-links.
<snip>
I knew it wouldn't "change the clock-rate of the constituent-links", but I was unaware of the "PPP frame overhead will be increased by either 4 or 2 bytes" part.  I had found things on old NANOG posts like "...PPP <snip>

From: EVAN WILLIAMS <evangellick at btinternet.com>

i have always found this to be a excellent resource, when looking into the operation and format of protocols. In general not much meat but enough in the morsel to help.
http://www.protocols.com/pbook/ppp4.htm#MultiPPP

hope this may but as useful for you as it has been for me, and still is.

Thanks for the pointer Evan.  It looks like a pretty cool site.

scott