[j-nsp] Vpls-ldp signaling

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Mar 1 01:51:34 EST 2007

>   You can read JNCIS book from Sybex on page 650 as below :
>   " Within the JUNOS software, two main varieties of these VPNs exist. To help differentiate
>   between the different Layer 2 VPNs, we’ll use the configuration syntax as our guide. The first type of VPN is based on a draft specification by Kireeti Kompella. It uses the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) as the mechanism for PE routers to communicate with each other about their customer connections. We’ll refer to a Kompella-based configuration as a Layer 2 VPN. The second main form of a VPN is based on a draft specification by Luca Martini and uses the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) between PE routers. Every router establishes a unique connection for each customer using the VPN. The Martini-based VPN is known as a Layer 2 Circuit within the configuration. "

The two varieties of *point to point* L2 circuits (Martini and Juniper
proprietary) are not the issue. The issue that started this thread was
somebody asking about LDP for *VPLS* (point to multipoint) signaling.
And a later reply which evidently misunderstood the question to be
about point to point L2 circuits.

So, all together now:

- Juniper currently only supports BGP for VPLS (L2 point to multipoint)
signaling.
- Juniper supports both standard Martini tunnels (l2circuit in Juniper
speak) and proprietary BGP based signaling for L2 point to point.
Martini tunnels are interoperable with Cisco and other vendors.

All clear now?

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no