[j-nsp] changing CFEB on M7i

Mart Norman mart at manonet.ee
Tue Mar 6 02:21:54 EST 2007

Hello,

I'm quite new with juniper routers and ran into problem last night.

Some days ago disk on CFEB module started erroring and was kicked off from
bootlist. I added it back and it worked nice after it but i decided to
change it anyway. Took old CFEB out, moved compact flash to new one and
put new CFEB in. Unfortunately it didn't boot up. I started to get errors
like this:

/etc/rc: cannot create /var/etc/rc.ui.defaults.raw: directory nonexistent
grep: /var/etc/rc.ui.defaults.raw: No such file or directory
/etc/rc: cannot create /var/etc/rc.ui.defaults: directory nonexistent
cp: /etc/group: No such file or directory
cp: /etc/inetd.conf: No such file or directory
cp: /etc/login.conf: No such file or directory
cp: /etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
cp: /etc/newsyslog.conf: No such file or directory
mkdir: /var/run: File exists
Creating initial configuration...mgd: error: could not open database:
/var/run/db/schema.db: No such file or directory
mgd: error: Database open failed for file '/var/run/db/schema.db': No such
file or directory
mgd: error: could not open database schema: /var/run/db/schema.db
mgd: error: could not open database schema
Warning: Commit failed, activating partial configuration.
Warning: Edit the router configuration to fix these errors.
cp: /var/run/db/juniper.db: No such file or directory
Setting initial options:  debugger_on_panic=NO debugger_on_break=NO.
/etc/rc: cannot create /var/run/dmesg.boot: directory nonexistent

It appears that whole /etc is not on root partition but lot of files are
linked from /var/etc which resides on disk.

Did i missed something during this change?

thanks in advance,

Mart