[j-nsp] BGP load balancing on 2 links (same ISP)

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:28:39 EST 2007

> * sthaug at nethelp.no [Fri 16 Mar 2007, 20:57 CET]:
> >It *is* per flow. The old IP 1 could do per packet, current IP 2 cannot.
>
> That's a feature.  Per-packet load-balancing can easily lead to packet
> reordering.

   I dunno if I'd say 'easily', as the delta would have to be pretty
significant for reordering on the far side to not compensate for this
(assuming the links are of equal speed).
  That said, you could look into adding L3 and L4 inspection for
(potentially) better hashing. Enabling these under [edit
forwarding-options hash-key family-inet] will start considering
factors like:
Source IP address
Destination IP address
Protocol
Source port number
Destination port number
Incoming interface index
   when doing the hashing.  I haven't tried it yet personally, but it
likely comes with a CPU hit of some kind.

David