[j-nsp] MAC address accounting on shared L2 IX - can it be done?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Mar 17 15:41:03 EST 2007

Is it just me, or is the JunOS documentation for Ethernet MAC address
accounting incredibly obtuse?

I am connected to an IX on GigE shared L2 - so I would like to count
number of bytes and packets transmitted to and received from each BGP
peer, based on the MAC address of the peer. This would seem to be a
rather common task, but I haven't found a good way to do this yet.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos82/swconfig82-network-interfaces/html/interfaces-ethernet-config68.html#1082075

lists "MAC accounting" as one of the capabilities of both GigE IQ and
regular GigE (SFP) PICs. On

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos82/swconfig82-network-interfaces/html/interfaces-ethernet-config80.html#1082331

the heading says "Configuring MAC Address Accounting" - but the rest of
the page says nothing about how to count packets based on MAC address.

What am I missing here?

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no