[j-nsp] MAC address accounting on shared L2 IX - can it be done?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Mar 19 09:03:54 EST 2007

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 12:43:51AM -0000, Phil Sykes wrote:

> > Ah, it *is* the documentation which is obtuse :-)  Your
> > message made me check a bit more, and I finally found the
> > "show interfaces mac-database" command.
> >
> > Now if the "Configuring MAC Address Accounting" documentation
> > had been a bit more explicit about what it did, and had
> > actually included a reference to the "show interfaces
> > mac-database", it would have been quite a bit more helpful.
> > Thanks Jared, no thanks to Juniper here.
>
>  A couple of caveats that may be relevant to people configuring this:
>
>  - It doesn't work on aggregated Ethernet interfaces

	Yes it does.  We have collected data from aeX interfaces facing
a public-IX before.  It does add a layer of abstraction in that case
if your poller wasn't written with that in mind originally.

	(you need to collect the mac from multiple physical interfaces from
the snmp mib and combine it for the mac->ip mapping in your peeringdb
to tell which peer it is).

>  - It doesn't work on the fixed-optic Gigabit Ethernet PICs (e.g.
> P-1GE-SX), only on the QPP PICs and SFP-based PICs.

>  mac-accounting is exposed via SNMP via the JUNIPER-MAC-MIB (jnxMibs
> 23), which is potentially more useful than "show interfaces
> mac-database" for long-term operational use.

	Certainly.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net