[j-nsp] Creating an M7i boot PCMCIA card

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Mar 31 17:11:12 EST 2007

> Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:13:28 +0200
> From: Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 11:39:34AM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> > It clears the boot sector and DOS partition map so that the
> > Unix map will be found and processed correctly.
>
> But that's done by dd'ing the image to the flash anyway?!

Not quite. FreeBSD (the OS under Junos) has a dd(1) that understands
normal BIOS type disk partitions (which FreeBSD call slices) in an
attempt to prevent the serious foot shooting possible with dd. Not that
it really succeeds. I have found it quite easy to create a disaster with
FreeBSD and dd(1). :-(

I also had to use dump/restore to back up my root partition on my old
FreeBSD V3 system with a pair of 13 GB drives. They were from different
vendors and had slightly different geometries. dd(1) insisted that I
could not do the operation I wanted (the whole disk) between them, so I
had to do it partition at a time.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)