[j-nsp] Strange behaviour on a M10...

Carlos Friacas cfriacas at fccn.pt
Fri May 4 12:10:22 EDT 2007

Hello,

We're experiencing a strange behaviour in one of our M10s.

The router (which is handling the full routing table) seems to keep
forwarding packets, but it's almost impossible to telnet to it, and it
shows 70% packet loss when pinging to a directly connected router. It
also shows 5x times higher latency on the 30% of well suceeded ICMPs.
Using the console, the processor and the routing engine levels of
processing seem to be low and ok. I'm currently using 7.6R4, and also
tried 8.2R2 and 7.6R3.

Already skimmed through Juniper's problem reports, and i can't find
anything simmilar. At the moment i'm not fully sure the origin of this
isn't an attack, because the behaviour is not uniform/constant...

Has anyone seen anything close to this?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Carlos Friac,as                                            See:
Wide Area Network Working Group (WAN)                      www.gigapix.pt
FCCN - Fundacao para a Computacao Cientifica Nacional      www.ipv6.eu
Av. do Brasil, n.101                                       www.6diss.org
1700-066 Lisboa                                            www.geant2.net