[j-nsp] Juniper BGP Route Metrics

Dan Benson dbenson at swingpad.com
Tue May 15 16:08:57 EDT 2007

All, I am in a funny spot in my network where I could you a little
assistance.  I run a fairly widespread network in the US, where I peer
and buy upstream bandwidth in multiple locations in may cases with the
same Networks.

We currently run OSPF as in IGP and carry IBGP over loopbacks for bgp
route distribution. Recently we have implemented MPLS for many obvious
reasons and in doing so changed the way our customer traffic flows
dramatically.  This from what I can tell is due to route preference,
where before MPLS a flow would be looked up at every hop and might be
handed to a connected AS more locally to the origination of the flow (A
good thing).  Now with MPLS when the flow is setup it is never looked at
again from an IP standpoint and therefore leaves my route preference
using the last resort, router-id.  This as anyone knows is plain old
wrong in this case and is hurting my traffic in more ways then one.

Looking and testing I have had absolutely no luck setting the IBGP core
to use IGP metrics for route preference, nor have I had any luck with
external router id (At this point I will try anything).  My OSPF links
are all set with specific Metrics and flow just the way they should but
my hope is that I can get my BGP route table to use either the metric or
the metric2 as the last resort tie breaker for prefix next-hops instead
of the IBGP router-id.

I have tested this in junos 7.3 and 8.2 with no luck.  I have also tried
policies such as metric add 0 but still have no metrics in the bgp route
table.  Have I been assuming that this feature does something completely
different then what I have read it can do?  Does anyone out there have
any suggestions as to how to use the most locally (Closest OSPF metric'd
IBGP neighbor) learned next-hop for a prefix?  Am I left to manually set
all the metrics on outbound routes in my core to force each router to
use the more locally learned route?

I thank you all for your help in advance and take care.. //db