[j-nsp] Repairing pic optics

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed May 16 11:14:45 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 11:11:05AM +0200, Jonas Frey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just had a field failure of a p-1ge-lh pic, it seems the
> laser/receiver is defective as it doesnt show link anymore (i guess this
> is the most sensitive part so failure is likely). Since the optics are
> fixed i wonder if anyone every changed optics on a fixed optics pic? It
> seems to me that there are just 9 pins which carry data and 2 soldered
> retentions.
> The laser seems to be from OCP (DTR-1250-SM), however there are
> different options on this transceiver module thus i am not sure which is
> the right one....next thing would be to find a source to get the laser.
> Anyone ever did this and/or knows someone who offers it?
> (This module is end-of-life and years away from warranty...and i dont
> want to throw it away just because of a laser failure)

Sure, this is a fixed optics standard called 1x9 (1 row of 9 pins). If
you're handy with a soldering iron and you can find someone to buy some
1x9 transceivers you can swap it out easily, I used to do this with old
Foundry "guaranteed failure" fixed optics before I realized it wasn't
worth my time. :) You can surely replace the old LH optics with something
modern that has a 30dB budget instead of the old 23dB (70km) stuff too.