[j-nsp] Juniper M-series vs 72xx/NPE-G2

michael.firth at bt.com michael.firth at bt.com
Tue May 22 15:47:06 EDT 2007

> Eric Van Tol wrote:
>
> > As for the cost of new gear, in your case, you have working Cisco
gear
> > which may provide you a discount.  Juniper sometimes runs specials
> > where you can trade in Cisco 7200s for a discount off M7i routers.
> > This was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if they still do it now.
> >
> > -evt
>
> It looks like the trade-in program may still be around:

http://www.ccionline.biz/clientspecific/juniper/tradeup/tradeup.cgi?page
=3&_m=26.10mj.k.mfm.4&k=tradeww905

> $4K off a M7i, no too shabby.  But it says that is before any other
"discounts", so that may be a problem.

> --Mike

I would strongly recommend getting a new M7i (or M10i, if your budget
will stretch and you need the extra redundancy/capacity) over an
M5/M10/M20.

The M5/M10 are EOL, which means that support may be dropped from JunOS
releases in a few years time (Juniper guarantee to support hardware for
at least 5 years from the EOL date, which is already a couple of years
ago for the M5/M10)

The M20 is the oldest router in the Juniper product line, being the
second product they ever introduced. The PICs for it also are now
unique, as they were shared with the (now obsolescent) M40, and no other
routers.

The M7i is a pretty good box, provided that you are happy to only have
one RE and FEB. As you are coming from Cisco 7200s, this will be what
you're used to anyway. The M10i is better in some ways (redundant RE and
FEB available, more PIC slots) and worse in others (significantly more
expensive, doesn't have built in interfaces, so every port costs extra,
and is more than twice the height)

Hope this helps

Michael