[j-nsp] Juniper M-series vs 72xx/NPE-G2

Hyunseog Ryu HRyu at norlight.com
Tue May 22 17:23:59 EDT 2007

PE-1GE-SFP   1-port GigabitEthernet PIC with SFP module required. So you
can change cable type by switching SFP module. PE- means it can be used
for M5/M10/M7i/M10i.

P-1GE-SX        1-port GigabitEthernet PIC with SX optic option. And this
can be used for M20/M40 or higher model.

You can not use P- model PIC in M7i/M10i from support contract concern.
It is same hardware except PE- module with ejector latch.
But If you use PE- in M20/M40 or higher, or vice versa, your support
contract will not support that configuration.

Also, I think P-1GE-SX is the end-of-sales. For that manner, P-1GE-SX-B
has same boat.
P-1GE-SX might not be supported from support contract because it was
discontinured for long time.
I'm not sure about P-1GE-SX-B.

So for your option, you should look at PE-1GE-SFP with 1GE-SFP-SX or
whatever SFP you need.

Hyun

Hyunseog Ryu
Senior Network Engineer
Norlight Telecommunications, Inc./Applications Engineering
13935 Bishops Drive
Brookfield, WI 53005
Phone. +1-262-792-7965
Fax. +1-262-792-7733
Email. hryu at norlight.com

TCIS List Acct <listacct at tulsaconnect.com>
Sent by: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
05/22/2007 04:09 PM

juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: [j-nsp] Juniper M-series vs 72xx/NPE-G2

michael.firth at bt.com wrote:

> The M7i is a pretty good box, provided that you are happy to only have
> one RE and FEB. As you are coming from Cisco 7200s, this will be what
> you're used to anyway. The M10i is better in some ways (redundant RE and
> FEB available, more PIC slots) and worse in others (significantly more
> expensive, doesn't have built in interfaces, so every port costs extra,
> and is more than twice the height)

The M7i looks good, and with the trade-in program, may be within budget.
However, the 2 GigE bundle is twice as expensive as the 2 FastE bundle.
That
said, we only really need 1 GigE now (with 1 FastE for backup).  What is
the
difference in these PICs:

PE-1GE-SFP
P-1GE-SX

I know the P-1GE-SX is older (and seems to be cheaper), but will it work
in the
M7i? (trying to get a GigE interface for as cheap as possible)

Mike Bacher / listacct at tulsaconnect.com
TCIS - TulsaConnect Internet Services
http://www.tulsaconnect.com