[j-nsp] Problems with STM1 link

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue May 29 15:36:19 EDT 2007

> we have the Cos disable for this interface. But the problems is when the
> bandwidth get up to 110-115 Aprox..  And  in the STM1 we should have 155
> Mbps..  And at this bandwidhth the Juniper should begin to  drop packets

How do you observe your packet loss? Via SNMP? If you're using SNMP with
32 bit counters and a 5 minute poll interval, 110-115 Mbps is when you
should expect to see strange effects due to counter wraparound.

We use STM-1 links on several Juniper M7i routers, and have no problems.
We have observed traffic of more than 130 Mbps on quite a few occasions
(but this is when we *know* that the link in question needs an upgrade).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no