[j-nsp] load balancing between juniper routers for unequal cost path

Chris Kawchuk ckawchuk at juniper.net
Wed Nov 7 12:32:46 EST 2007

Build 2 MPLS LSPs to the destination router, turn on OSPF on those
shortcuts, and use ECMP. JunOS will see them as 2 completely identical
paths to the end-device, and load-balance across them.

Enable ECMP load balancing:

routing-options {
    forwarding-table {
        export load-balancing-policy;
    }
}

policy-options {
    policy-statement load-balancing-policy {
        then {
            load-balance per-packet;
        }
    }

Note that "load-balancing per-packet" is a misnomer, and a holdover back
to the Internet Processor #1 on the original M40/M20. We actually do
per-flow load balancing when this is enabled; so as not to upset the
path/timings/order of things like VoIP RTP packets.

- Chris.

Chris Kawchuk (ckawchuk at juniper.net)
Systems Engineering, Service Providers
Juniper Networks Inc., Canada