[j-nsp] load balancing between juniper routers for unequal cost path

Andy Lamontagne alamontagne at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:48:01 EST 2007

Hi Hamid,

To expand on Chris's explanation, ECMP is Equal Cost Multi-Path, which
allows for the use of 2 (or more) equal cost path at the same time; Load
balancing the traffic between the different paths. As Chris also mentioned,
this load balancing is done per flow and not per packet, so you don't get
any reordering of packets.

What you will need to do is create 2 different RSVP Signaled LSPs towards
the router which you want to "add more traffic", then you need to export
these 2 LSPs in OSPF (not turn OSPF off!) so that the routing protocol can
see and use these 2 new paths.

In the end, you will have 2 equals paths going in 1 direction, and a single
path in the other.  If you need to move more traffic, then simply add a 3rd,
4th, etc LSP.

Please let me know if you need further explanation/configuration samples.

-Andy