[j-nsp] L3VPN and VPLS units on same physical IQ2 PIC port

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 11:50:44 EST 2007

  I have a T640 wit an 8-port IQ2 Gig PIC running 8.2R1.7.  One port
on this PIC is a Q-in-Q trunk to a Nortel switch transporting traffic
for various customers (hence the Q-in-Q).  Thus far, all customers on
said trunk have been VPLS customers.
  I'm now trying to add an L3VPN/VRF customer interface to the trunk
but am running into problems. Config is shown below.  The Nortel
switch has to q-in-q the traffic for transmission across the trunk,
but we them immediately want to pop the outer tag upon receipt at the
Juniper interface, at which point they're dumped into their VRF (it's
layer2 across the Nortel network).  Similarly, when sending from
Juniper to Nortel, we'll need to push a tag.  I can't seem to use the
(input|output)-vlan-map statements though, as they require vlan-ccc,
extended-vlan-ccc, vlan-vpls or extended-vlan-vpls encapsulations
(none of which will work for L3VPN afaik).
  I really feel like I'm missing something, or doing something dumb.
I'm going to blame it on being sleep deprived due to having a newborn,
but any help you can provide would be stellar.

david at router# show interfaces ge-7/0/5
description "Q-in-Q trunk to Nortel switch"
flexible-vlan-tagging;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
unit 100 {
    encapsulation vlan-vpls;
    vlan-id 100;
    input-vlan-map pop;