[j-nsp] load balancing between juniper routers for unequal cost path

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Nov 8 16:14:09 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 08:39:23AM -0800, Hamid Ahmed wrote:

>   2) You are giving the explanation for equal cost paths. However in
>   my case there are two unequal cost paths. So my question still how
>   can u do that in using unequal cost paths ?

>   3) Please explain when u say the following:
>   "What you will need to do is create 2 different RSVP Signaled LSPs
>  towards the router which you want to "add more traffic", then you need to  export these 2 LSPs in OSPF (not turn OSPF off!) so that the routing protocol  can see and use these 2 new paths. In the end, you will have 2 equals paths going in 1 direction, and a
>  single path in the other.  If you need to move more traffic, then simply add a  3rd, 4th, etc LSP."

>   4) The above discussion is for when we are doing work within MPLS.
>   Now in my case my intended traffic (Voice) does not use
>   MPLS(however MPLS is enabled but for some other traffic like
>   sigtran and O/M). OSPF is there as IGP and i need to load balance
>   my intended traffic using the unequal cost path. I have an idea
>   taht i create 2 x static GRE tunnels from one end to the other. My
>   question can GRE tunnel override OSPF as that would be purely
>   static routing and whatever goes with the tunnels would be just
>   IP-payload.

He is saying to expand your use of MPLS to provide the solution to
your un-equal multipath situation.  You would be using MPLS "tunnels"
a.k.a. LSPs to provide the solution.  I suppose GRE tunnels could work
too, but since you already have MPLS set up, you might as well expand
your use of it to cover this case as well.