[j-nsp] load balancing between juniper routers for unequal cost path

Hamid Ahmed hamidahmed77 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 09:46:54 EST 2007

hi Andy,
Thanks for the detailed email. However i could get a better understanding if u can send me configuration snapshot. My intended traffic will use MPLS in the future but for time being i need to know if i can deploy GRE tunnels to compensate for OSPF unequal cost paths and then try load-balancing my pure IP traffic.

regards,
HA

Andy Lamontagne <alamontagne at gmail.com> wrote: Hi Hamid,

To control (or engineer) where you want traffic to go, you simply introduce MPLS LSPs.  The beauty of MPLS is its Traffic Engineering characteristics.  You can decide EXACTLY where you want your traffic to go.  So, if you have 2 unequal paths, and you wish to load-balance between the 2, you simply need make the "more expensive" path appear to be "less expensive", by creating those Label Switched Paths (LSPs).

For example.

Let us say that you have 3 routers connected in series (Router A, B and C) and that all links are GigabitEthernet.  Router A also has a direct path to Router C (also GigabitEthernet) - see ascii diagram below:

Router A ------ Router B ------ Router C

Now, with default settings, the "shortest" path from Router A is the direct link to Router C.  The other link from Router A through Router B, then Router C is also a valid path, but at a higher "cost".  We have 2 unequal paths from Router A to Router C.

You are looking to load balance between these 2 paths.

To do so, you create an RSVP Signaled LSP from Router A to Router C (RSVP so that you can "force" the path of the LSP to use Router B as opposed to going directly from Router A to Router C)

When you create this new LSP, it appears in the routing table inet.3.  To be able to use this new "route" with OSPF, you must export it to the inet.0 routing table.  Once the LSP is in inet.0, there will be 2 different, equal paths from Router A to Router C.  At this point, you follow Chris' config to do the load balancing and your good to go.

You're on the right track when you the talk about using 2x GRE tunnels, but do this with MPLS instead.

I can still send you the config examples if you need it :-)

-Andy