[j-nsp] SNMPD_AUTH_FAILURE

Samuel samuel.gay at c-s.fr
Tue Nov 13 09:44:13 EST 2007

Hi Eric,

I have already got this kind of problem.
Are you using snmp v3 ?

My problem was next :

When we change a RE, you have to generate again the MD5 password :

# set snmp v3 usm local-engine user TOTO authentication-md5
authentication-password PASSWORD
# commit

For exemple is you have this configuration :
snmp {
    engine-id {
        use-mac-address;
    }
}
In this case the MD5 hash is genereted with the MAC address of the
management interface (fxp0).
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos80/swconfig80-net-mgmt/html/snmp-v3-summary9.html

Regards,
Samuel