[j-nsp] SNMP OID for "ip description"

Gabriel gabriel at teksavvy.com
Wed Nov 14 12:15:59 EST 2007

> --- gabriel at teksavvy.com wrote:
> I have been unable to find what is the OID for Junose (E-Series) for the
> interfaces ip description. All I've been able to get is the name of the
> interfaces which is not exactly what I want. Can anyone help me here?
> ---------------------------------------
>

> Just to add one more thing...
>

> Maybe this'll work:
>
> http://www.oidview.com/mibs/0/IF-MIB.html
>
> 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18
>

> There're two different interface identifiers.  One is the IP interface, so I
> believe it's:
>
> 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.<interface_identifier_of_ip_interface>
>

> For example, in my network I see this:
>
> ifAlias.268435463
> ifAlias.53366
>
> Then, I look for the interface identifier:
>
> ifDescr.268435463 = STRING: FR13/9.183
> ifName.53366 = STRING: IP13/9.183
>
> So, in this case, I believe you'd want 1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18.53366
>
> scott

Thanks.

I have found that the problem was in fact because I was "compressing" the
interfaces using this command.

snmp-server interfaces compress Ip

I removed it and I am now able to see the IP description of the interfaces.
But this defeats the whole setup, I currently have thousands of l2tp tunnels
on that router and even though I am compressing these using the following
commands

snmp-server interfaces compress L2tpTunnel
snmp-server interfaces compress L2tpSession

I get a full list of all the subscribers while walking the OID tree of
1.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18 . I would like to be able to only see the physical
interfaces without the subscribers with the description included.

-Gabriel