[j-nsp] VLAN range support on MPLS based L2VPN?

Farhan Jaffer bandhani at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 19:03:36 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have configured MPLS based L2VPN b/w M7i & J6350, but i wondered when i
noticed that only 512 VLAN ids are there to play with (using encapsulation
vlan-ccc). I go through Juniper documentation & came to know about
extended-vlan-ccc encapsulation option.

Now three questions are there:

1) Encapsulation extended-vlan-ccc is only for the purpose of using extended
VLANs (or large number of VLANs) OR there are other differences as well?

2) What is the valid VLAN IDs range when using extended-vlan-ccc encap?
There are contradictions on Juniper online doc. At one place they are saying
"For the extended-vlan-ccc encapsulation type, VLAN IDs from 0 through 1023
are valid, allowing you to make up to 1024 VLANs for the CCC connection."
And on other place "For extended VLAN CCC encapsulation, all VLAN IDs from 1
through 4094 are valid. VLAN ID 0 is reserved for tagging the priority of
frames."
On practice, i can only use b/w 1 to 1023 IDs.

3) What is the usual practice of providers while using L2VPN, will this
small range of VLAN Ids enough for them? OR there are other techniques?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance

-FJ