[j-nsp] JUNOS MPLS vs. IOS MPLS

Piotr Marecki peter at mareccy.org
Sun Sep 23 05:43:53 EDT 2007

Ehlo,

Slight correction -> JNPR doesn't use DoD advertisement mode, it's
downstream unsolicited as well

as in CSCO case. Difference is that JNPR uses ordered control mode, e.g. it
won't advertise label mapping unless it receives binding from its downstream
neighbor OR it is egress router for that FEC.

Also, as far as interoperability is concerned, those different modes play
quite well together, and you can filter CSCO advertisements so it will
propagate only loopbacks  (to avoid mess in inet.3).

Now, if we speak about TE compatibility, it works quite well too, although
one has to be aware of some differences, and it may or may not affect your
case, depending on requirements.

For example, full blown DS-TE in only in JUNOS and IOS/XR, whether IOS uses
proprietary implementation to disseminate additional subpool bandwidth (e.g.
priority queue). When you'll be using

FRR, you need to take into account that JNPR has one-to-one and facility
backup implemented (aka fast-reroute and link/node protection,
respectively), whereas CSCO (both IOS and IOS/XR) have

only facility backup. Of course, there are more differences, like ability to
forward traffic based on QoS class (junipers CBF, csco class-based tunnel
selection - similar but more limited than in jnpr ), P2MP

RSVP-TE which only JNPR has (and I'm not sure if CSCO is into that area at
all, given they follow multicast GRE for mdt approach), RSVP scalability
extensions etc.

Having said that, if you will be aware of differences and consider them in
the early stage of design , you shall be quite safe.

regards

Piotr Marecki