[j-nsp] About RE memory utilization

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri Apr 4 11:14:13 EDT 2008

Based only upon personal experience, we've had old M5s running at >95% RE memory usage that hummed along just fine.  Even with FEB heap utilization at around 90%, we didn't have problems.  Forwarding is done in hardware, so you won't have a problem in that regard if memory usage is too high.  However, FEB/SSB/cFEB memory can have an impact on route updates, among other things.  Too high a utilization on there can prevent route changes and other nastiness.

-evt